Corfu is a beautiful island in the Ionian Sea, known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and picturesque landscapes. It’s the perfect destination for anyone looking for a relaxing holiday away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. However, if you want to truly explore everything that this beautiful island has to offer, renting a car is essential. In this post, we’ll take a closer look at why renting a car is so important when visiting Corfu and some of the best places to explore on the island.
Why Renting a Car is Essential
Corfu is a relatively small island, but there is still so much to see and explore. Public transportation is limited, and taxis can be expensive, so renting a car is the most convenient and cost-effective way to get around. With a car, you have the freedom to explore the island at your own pace and visit places that are off the beaten path. You can stop whenever and wherever you want, take in the stunning scenery, and truly immerse yourself in the local culture.
Where to Explore
Once you’ve rented a car, there are plenty of places to explore on the island. Here are just a few of the must-see destinations:
- Corfu Town: The capital of the island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, known for its beautiful architecture, narrow streets, and stunning views of the sea. Be sure to visit the Old Fortress, the Palace of St. Michael and St. George, and the Spianada, the largest square in the Balkans.
- Paleokastritsa: This picturesque village is nestled in the hills and offers breathtaking views of the sea. Be sure to visit the Monastery of the Virgin Mary, which dates back to the 13th century and is one of the most important religious sites on the island.
- Glyfada Beach: This long, sandy beach is one of the most popular on the island and is known for its crystal-clear waters and golden sand. There are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby, making it the perfect spot to relax and soak up the sun.
- Achillion Palace: This beautiful palace was built in the 19th century for the Empress of Austria, Elisabeth of Bavaria. It’s located in the village of Gastouri and is surrounded by stunning gardens and statues.
- Mount Pantokrator: If you’re looking for a bit of adventure, consider driving to the top of Mount Pantokrator, the highest point on the island. The views from the summit are absolutely breathtaking, and there are plenty of hiking trails to explore.
Tips for Renting a Car
If you’re planning on renting a car on Corfu, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Book in advance: During peak season, rental cars can be in high demand, so it’s best to book in advance to ensure availability.
- Bring your driver’s license: You’ll need a valid driver’s license from your home country to rent a car on Corfu.
- Consider insurance: Be sure to ask about insurance options when renting a car, as you’ll want to make sure you’re covered in case of an accident.
- Drive defensively: Like many Mediterranean countries, driving on Corfu can be a bit chaotic. Be sure to drive defensively, stay alert, and follow the rules of the road.
Overall, renting a car is essential for anyone looking to explore all that Corfu has to offer. With the freedom to explore the island at your own pace, you can truly immerse yourself in the local culture and create memories that will last a lifetime.